Monday, February 22, 2010

Coach Grill Restaurant

To celebrate the “people’s day” of Chinese New Year, my family and I went to a very popular steakhouse in our neighborhood for dinner. Since moving in six years ago, we pass by Coach Grill every week, and we always see flocks of older people going into the restaurant starting in the early evening. Outside of the restaurant, there is a sign of the restaurant’s name with has a big carriage on top of it. When we arrived at six o’clock for dinner, the whole parking lot was already filled. We were grateful to have found the last parking spot available. The décor of the restaurant is very American style, with soft lighting, paintings on the walls and a big fireplace on the side. There is an open kitchen where you can see the action by the chefs. It is definitely a high class restaurant with some people dressing up with a jacket. Unlike places like Capital Grill, this restaurant is not pretentious at all and the ambience is warm. The wait staff is friendly and the service is pretty good.




The waitress brought us a big bread bowl, which is one of the best bread I’ve ever had. The bread is crispy on the outside and not hard at all. It is very warm and soft on the inside. When I put the butter on the bread, the butter melts right away. It was so good that we asked for more. I ate two pieces of the bread, which is quite unusual for me. My mom almost ate the whole bread bowl by herself.



For appetizers, we ordered half a dozen oysters from New Hampshire. The oysters are fresh with a slight salty taste. I personally prefer oysters that have a sweeter taste. My husband ordered a Caesar salad, which was alright.



For main courses, my mom and I both ordered the Prime Rib, cooked medium. It was a generous cut of Prime Rib. Even though the Prime Rib was so thick, it was surprisingly tender and juicy. It was served with au jus which is the natural juice from the meat. There is some fat near the edges of the Prime Rib. I can say that this is the best Prime Rib I have ever had. It is definitely a notch above the Prime Rib at Ken’s Steak House or Texas Roadhouse. We also ordered a side of pan seared sweet potato as side dish.



My husband ordered the Rack of Lamb, cooked medium. I love the strong distinct taste of lamb meat. It was served with mint jelly which adds a refreshing taste to this dish. There is a side of mashed potatoes in the middle of this dish. The mashed potatoes have a strong garlic taste. My husband likes it but it’s just not my cup of tea. The only imperfection is the inconsistency of how the chefs cook the different meats. We ordered both the Prime Ribs and the Rack of Lamb to be cooked medium, but the Prime Rib looks more like medium rare while the Rack of Lamb looks more like medium well.



This was a great night out, and we all left with our stomachs extremely full with boxes to take home also. The quality of the meat at Coach Grill was excellent, and we would love to come back when we crave for some tender and juicy Prime Rib.

HOKAT Rating:
93/100

Address:
55 Boston Post Road, Wayland MA 01778
508-358-5900

No comments: