Monday, December 21, 2009

Derby Room (Hong Kong)

Since my sister is a member of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, we were able to make a dinner reservation at the Derby Room, which is a high class French restaurant. There is no special occasion, but the four of us dressed up nicely and went there for dinner. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is very formal. When we were given the menus, we found that there are no prices listed. It turns out that only my sister’s menu has prices listed because she is the host and we are her guests.

When I was trying to decide what to order, my sister told me that the 2-people Special Set is the best value out of everything in the menu. In the Special Set, there are a few choices of appetizers, main dishes, and desserts that you can choose from.

To start things off, we got a dozen oysters to share among the four of us. The oysters are extremely fresh. They are of various sizes and some are more salty than others.



For appetizers, all of us ordered the foie gras. The foie gras is pan seared and served with a raspberry sauce. It is truly impeccable, with the outside crispy and the inside very moist and soft. I love the texture of foie gras because it literally melts in your mouth. The foie gras here is of top grade but the portion is too small. After finishing it, I was still craving for more.




There are three choices for the main dish, which include Boston Lobsters, Sea Bass, and Sirloin Steak. I chose the Sea Bass as my main dish. My brother-in-law chose the lobster whereas my husband and sister chose the sirloin steak. It turns out that my brother-in-law made the best choice. There are about two small lobsters cut up in pieces. The lobster meat is chewy and bouncy. Besides the taste, it is also the most expensive dish, so I think my brother-in-law made a smart decision. The sirloin steak is a little dry and it doesn’t have enough fat in it. The chef should have compensated by putting more sauce on it. As for my sea bass, it is pan fried and so the skin is pretty crispy but the fish itself is kinda bland. However, it is hard for any pan seared fish to make a lasting impression.




Saving the best for last, we ordered the chocolate soufflé and strawberry soufflé for dessert. The soufflé is a light dessert made from egg whites. The chocolate soufflé is the better of the two. There is a slight sweet taste from the chocolate taste but it is pretty mild. The strawberry soufflé is a little sour. I love soufflés because they are so soft and fluffy.



Overall it is a great dinner in a high class restaurant. The French food is very authentic, as it is served by an English chef who has worked in a Michelin three star restaurant in the past.

HOKAT Rating:
93/100

Address:
跑馬地山光道香港賽馬會會所地下
2966-1310

No comments: