Monday, December 14, 2009

珍寶海鮮樓 Jumbo Seafood Restaurant (Singapore)

Singapore is well known for their meaty crab dishes. Most of the crabs come from Sri Lanka, which are huge in size. Jumbo is a very famous chain restaurant in Singapore that specializes in all kinds of seafood, particularly Chili Crab. We went to the branch near the Riverside Point in the Clark Quay area. The Clark Quay area is very beautiful at night, with various different colored lights along the river.




It was a very hot night in Singapore, and so we got seats inside the restaurant to enjoy the AC. For appetizers, we ordered a pot of Shark Fin Soup and an order of Scallop wrapped in Yam Ring. The Shark Fin Soup is served in a clay pot. The soup base is very thick with mushrooms in it. This is not my “cup of soup” because I prefer the crab roe soup base which is much lighter. The portion of the shark fin is very generous, visible in clusters.




The Scallop wrapped in Yam Ring is so delicious. The Yam Ring is very fluffy and crispy. The sweet taste of the yam matches very well with the mild taste of scallop. This is the improved version of the Roasted Duck with Fried Mashed Taro.



Now for the highlight of the dinner, we placed an order of 黑胡椒蟹 (Black Pepper Crab) to share among five people. The Black Pepper Crab is gigantic. I estimate that it weighs about 2.5 to 3 pounds. In my family, I love eating crabs the most and so I was given one of the two chelipeds (claws). In fact, it is the biggest cheliped that I have ever seen in my life. It is almost bigger than my fist and arm combined. The meat is tender yet it bounces in my mouth. The black pepper sauce is very moist and tasty. Although it is extremely spicy, I could not stop eating it and just kept drinking tea to water down the spiciness. After eating the cheliped and another piece of crab leg with a lot of meat on the top, my stomach was so satisfied.





Even the vegetables that we ordered taste very well. It is Kang Kong (morning glory) tossed with a spicy chili and shrimp paste that gives it a kick. I love the texture of Kang Kong because it is hollow inside and crunchy. I am not a veggies person, which means when you see me eating a lot of vegetables it must be tasty.



For dessert, we got the colored tapioca with coconut juice and fruits, topped with some whipped cream. I did not have much expectation for dessert that is served at a seafood restaurant, but let me tell you, it does not disappoint. This dessert is a kid’s favorite because it is slightly sweet yet very light. It provides a very good finishing touch after a heavy and spicy crab meal.



After my family went back to Hong Kong, my husband and I stayed for an extra night. Jumbo was so excellent that we went back again for a second time. This time around, we tried the Crabmeat Shark Fin Soup, Bamboo Clams with Minced Garlic, and 辣椒蟹(Chili Crab). We also encored on the Scallop wrapped in Yam Ring because we couldn’t get enough of it.



The Crabmeat Shark Fin Soup is much tastier than the Mushroom Shark Fin Soup that we ordered on the previous visit. The crabmeat is fresh and the soup base is much lighter. There are also some bits of crab roe served on top.




The bamboo clams are very big. I felt like it is a main course by itself. The clam meat is very chewy. It is served with minced garlic and a light soy sauce. There is also some vermicelli served on the clam shell. After finishing one bamboo clam, I was already 80% full.



Although my sister has told us that she does not like the taste of Chili Crab, we felt that we had to try it since it is the most popular style of crabs in Singapore. After tasting both Chili Crab and Black Pepper Crab at Jumbo, there is a clear winner in my mind. The Black Pepper Crab is so much better in terms of taste, texture, and freshness of the meat. On the other hand, Chili Crab tastes a lot like ketchup shrimp that Chinese people always make at home.



Overall, Jumbo is an excellent seafood restaurant. Both visits were extremely satisfying, leaving our stomachs craving for more.

HOKAT Rating:
95/100

Address:
30 Merchant Road # 01-01/02, Riverside Point, Singapore
65-6532-3435

No comments: