Friday, July 30, 2010

Hofbrauhaus (Munich)

After watching an amazing football match of Bayern Munchen versus Vfl Bochum in which Bayern Munchen won 3-1, we went to Hofbrauhaus for dinner. Hofbrauhaus is the most famous beer house in Munich. It is a huge beer house which can hold thousands of people. We arrived at around dinner time, and the beer house is already filled with thousands of people. Throughout dinner, long lines of people kept walking in and out. We sat down in a long table with a bunch of strangers. The beer house is filled with long tables which people have to share. We sat down next to two couples and a few single guys. At the beginning of dinner, we weren’t talking to the people at our table. However, after my husband and I start drinking each of our 1 litre beer, we became chattier and had a nice conversation with a young couple who sat across from us.







Since HB is a beer house, my husband and I each ordered 1 litre Hofbräu beer. He got the dark beer and I got the original beer. It is the biggest beer that I have ever ordered in my life. The glass of beer is so heavy that I had to use both my hands to hold it up. We ordered the old Munich browned “Milz” sausage with home-made potato salad as appetizer. This sausage is round in shape and looks more like a meat pie than a sausage. It is served with some gravy. It has a smooth texture and the taste is quite mild.




For main dishes, we ordered the veal schnitzel with home-made potato salad, and also Bavarian salt pork knuckle. The veal schnitzel is fresh and hot. It is tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. My husband thinks this is the best schnitzel he had in Germany. For me, I prefer the schnitzel at Andechser am Dom which is more thin. As for the salt pork knuckle, it is a nice try. You honestly need to try both the salt pork knuckle and fried pork knuckle when you visit Germany. The pork knuckle is so salty that it is like the meat has been boiled in salt for days. The skin of the pork knuckle is soft and slimy. It is served with fresh horse radish and sauerkraut. I have never had horse radish before, and so I took a big bite which was a big mistake. The horse radish is so spicy and choky which is worse than Japanese wasabi. On the other hand, the sauerkraut is extremely sour. It is truly a unique dish that is good to try for the experience but not for the taste.




Beside the nice beer, there is a live band of 8 people inside of the beer house playing traditional music. The live music and boisterous atmosphere is perfect for those who love to be in a crowd.



HOKAT Rating:
85/100

Address:
Platzl 8, 80331 München
089-221676
http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/

No comments: